Sunday, 3 May 2015

2014 Forest Hills Drive

J.Cole: Cole World: The Sideline Story
Last time I wrote an album review it was something worth writing about and I guess that goes to show that I haven't heard anything great in a while. I've been meaning to write this post for ages but only just gotten round to doing it. I've been really busy and all but I am glad that I'm finally sharing this with you all. I'm not going to drag on though so let's get stuck in...

  
Jermaine Cole released 'Born Sinner' in 2013, June 14th to be exact and that album hasn't really grown on me. I think my favourite song from that album by far was 'Crooked Smile'. I also liked a couple others like 'She Knows; and 'Trouble'. I don't really have much to say about the album other than that.


On the 9th of December 2014, Cole dropped possibly his best album thus far called '2014 Forest Hills Drive'. Whilst in my opinion it's very close to his 2011 album 'Cole World: The Sideline Story', '2014 Forest Hills Drive' shows the growth in his music, his thought process and displays his vision as a producer and artist.

J.Cole: 2014 Forest Hills Drive album cover
To cause a little stir and this is solely my opinion, I think he drew from his 'Cole World: The Sideline Story' album in the sense that the sounds are vaguely similar on a few tracks. To be exact I thought 'Wet  Dreams' from '2014 Forest Hills Drive' has a similar beat and vibe to it as 'Rise ans Shine' from 'Cole World: The Sideline Story'. I guess once you done something great in order to out do yourself you have to draw from your previous work, analyse it, and go from there. And it seems as though that's what Cole has done on this album as well as use what in happening in his personal life and in his country.

We hear Cole's thought process as if the words painted the pictures in front of our eyes and we watched each punchline and metaphor from every track. It's almost like he laid his mind out on every track painting a picture of what he wants us to see through his lyrical content.

Forest Hills Drive CD back track-list
When an album is great, you'd assume naturally that it is hard to have a favourite and I understand that entirely because I found it hard to choose my favoruite. But I have it settled. Whilst the overall vibe of the album made this process difficult, I have narrowed it down to my top three. These are 'No Role Models', '03 Adolescence' and 'Tales of 2 Cities'. Originally 'Love Yours' and 'Wet dreams' were in the top three until I fell in love with 'No Role Models' and '03 Adolescence', see what I mean when I said it's hard. I should have done my least favourite but that would have been just as hard; and by the way those are in no particular order.  'G.O.M.D' and 'Fire Squad' are in a league of their own and I won't even get into that. 'January 28th' is up there as well but it's fair to say that 'St Tropez', 'Apparently' and 'Hello' are still growing on me but in time... in time.
I won't go into details about the reason why I love these tracks but I will say if you do listen to them, carefully listen to the words.

All in all, the fact that Cole has grown musically and really seems to have put a lot of thought into his music is refreshing. It nice to see an artist who doesn't rely so much on the beat to carry off his track over the lyrical content which tends to be the trend nowadays.


I won't babble on, I will leave it there but I will encourage my readers to have a listen to J.Cole's music and formulate their own opinions. This post was entirely my perspective of his '2014 Forest Hills Drive' album and I don't expect anyone to label what I have said as factual. I am certainly I fan of J.Cole and have been since his mixtape days.

Note: Thank you for reading. I was meant to post this review ages ago, as  I said but it's never too late. Anyways hope you are all well. Much love to you all. Tanny x